The Joy of Journaling: Jobelle Collier
For Jobelle Collier, the traumatic experience of someone reading her journal as a kid has made her journaling practice challenging at times. However, Jobelle has found a way to overcome her fear of this happening again, and shares some of her other journaling tips below:
1. Why do you keep a journal? What do you think are the main advantages of journaling?
I keep a journal because it’s a great tool to keep my thoughts captive. Bring thoughts to light and keep them in check. It also helps unload the overwhelm.
2. How long have you kept a journal for and why did you start?
I have been journaling from when I was young! Consistently until one day people broke into my journal as a kid. From then journaling has been rocky so it’s a very intentional effort for me to do it consistently. I wrote in a journal everyday that I was on The Amazing Race!
3. How often do you write in your journal – have you established a regular habit, or do you just write when you need to? How much do you write?
I’m pretty intermittent with it. I do write as thoughts come along – especially if I need to knot something out.
4. What sort of journal do you write in? Do you write by hand in a notebook or electronically on your computer or other device?
I find writing on paper really helpful, there’s something about putting your thought into paper, it makes it come alive!
5. Do you have any challenges journaling, e.g. not writing as consistently as you’d like, not having time to write, not knowing what to write, finding the right journal, etc.
I think for me it’s just overcoming my subconscious fear of someone breaking confidentiality. I have been pushing my fear’s boundaries by writing for other people and online blogs. I like to think of my writing now as an open letter to young people who are similar to young me rather than something I have to keep in secrecy.
Jobelle Collier is a dream chaser! Her childhood dream was to do the Amazing Race with her Dad and while doing so, she realised that she was living her grown up dream with her husband and beautiful kids all along. She loves people and their stories, cookie butter, cups of tea and brownies. Connect with Jobelle on Instagram @jobelle.erika.ac